Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Thinking and Acting

This post is more of response or explanation to my decision to use Rodin's The Thinker as the image for my blog.  I realise even before using it, however appropriate it may be, might seem a bit pretentious.  And my usage for it is more for my self-actualisation and a call to action.

Rodin's The Thinker is a seminal piece of art, one that truly reflect his ability as a Naturalist sculptor.  His ability to capture human emotion, intellect and psychological strife that all humans go through, is second to none.  Every minute gesture, twinge of flesh suggest an internal struggle within the character.

But as big a fan of Rodin's work as I am, the main reason for choosing this sculpture for this blog (although I will probably change it soon) is to represent how much time one spends thinking and contemplating; and not enough time acting.  As mentioned in my previous post, action is what is required in this day and age.  I also stand accuse of thinking too much and not acting, which creates a state of ennui and is counter-productive, so this sculpture is to remind me of the need to put action to words.  The saying of 'Practice what you Preach' is ever more true now.  And more so for designers and design students.  Do not miss the opportunity to act when it comes around, for opportunity knocks but once.

No comments:

Post a Comment